Monday 2 June 2008

Wise Words

In my time as a teacher, I have come across the teachings of the renowned Chinese thinker and social philosopher Confucius (551-479 BC) time and time again. And so much of what he had to say, more than two thousand years ago, still rings very true to me today - as I thing it does for many. Just consider these famous quotes of his:

In all things, success depends upon previous preparation without which there is sure to be failure.

Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous.

I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge; I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there.

Study the past if you would define the future.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

To learn and, from time to time, to apply what one has learned, isn't that a pleasure.

So, there you go; Chinese Philosophy 101. Class dismissed.

No comments: